Friday, March 13, 2009

Day 2 begins

We're back -- hard to believe we've only been reading for 24 hours. It seems like a lot more than that -- it's already getting a little tiring.

Sue and I are trying to finish this big region -- 24 applicants -- before our Udall-sponsored break to go to the Sonora Desert Museum this afternoon. I'm about a 1/3 of the way through, and it is a disappointment so far -- none are scholarship-worthy, yet, and I've marked two as "noncompetitive." That's a designation for applications that you get partway through and know that the candidate is far, far below what is considered scholarship-worthy, and you don't have to finish reading the essay. So I've got 16 to go, and we can mark 8 of them for honorable mentions or awards -- I hope it picks up a lot.

It's also Watson announcement day, which has me on pins and needles. I think I'm starting to bug everyone else by running to my laptop after reading each file.

1 comment:

  1. Doug,

    Am definitely reading--your blogging the reading process is very helpful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete